n Cosd: Omnipotence, Logic & God

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Omnipotence, Logic & God

Even though these are thoughts in progress, I thought I’d post them anyway.
Darren said (basically) the idea of free will and an omnipotent God cannot logically fit.
I agree. But the topic "free will" is not necessary in this discussion because the idea of omnipotence doesn’t make logical sense on its own. Which is where questions like: “Can God destroy himself?” or “Make a rock so big he can’t move it?” come from.
Which, in my mind, brings us to two different conclusions:
  1. God (the omnipotent version, at least) cannot logically exist
  2. God is illogical, or better yet, exists "outside of logic".

So... Wouldn’t we expect God to live outside of logic (or “transcend logic”)? Afterall, isn’t logic a human construct based in the physical word? God doesn’t exist in the physical world, or at least, does not solely exist in the physical world so why should he be bound by physical/human constructs?

Anyway, I typed “outside of logic” into google, and found this guy: http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/god_logic.html

(Who doesn't agree with me)

But I decided to post this before reading his logic, that way I can post a follow-up later (hopefully after I’ve decided why he {not I} is wrong).

3 Comments:

At March 18, 2005 11:44 AM, Blogger That which is called Darren said...

Good to see that you are thinking about it. Your post relates to one that I was going to do about omnipotence being an incoherent concept.
Your two options seem reasonable, but the second one (I think) has problems. Even if the G-man existed 'outside of logic' the fact remains that he would still have to omnipotent. Consequently, he would have to be able to "Make a rock so big he can’t move it" because he would still have to manifest 'all-powerfulness' in our logical world.

Good luck with you quest (crusade? :P), let me know what you find out.
-D

 
At March 31, 2005 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you heard about the lecture Dr. William S. Hatcher (I had to google to find that) does called "A Logical Proof of the Existence of God"? Makes a very pretty application of discrete math. It's actually more like a proof that the universe is derived from one source. Anyway, you might want to see if he has any of it online.
I saw you and Darren in last year's Acadia year book for the juggling club! Odd that I found a copy in Glasgow rather than Wolfville!

 
At April 04, 2005 11:37 PM, Blogger Cosd said...

Ali!

Good to see you, and thanks for the link. I will definitely add to my reading pile... Unfortunately it may have to wait until I get this term paper done. :P

Hope all is well with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home