n Cosd: Step 1 of Voyage: Not so Fantastic

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Step 1 of Voyage: Not so Fantastic

I am in the process of reading Fantastic Voyage: How to Live Long Enough to Live Forever by Kurzweil and Grossman. For those of you (like Darren) that are interested in the book, the first three chapters are available on their website, enjoy!

Chapter 4 gets into a discussion of water. It suggests that drinking alkaline water (water with a pH higher than 7 = base) is very good for the body, and can have life extending properties such as delaying disease, cleansing toxins, etc… Great! Sign me up!

I mean, if it really makes such a difference, it’s worth trying right?

Oy! It’s not that simple: In order to get this kind of water you need an expensive machine to filter your tap water. Machines are fine, but expensive doesn’t suit a graduate student. From what I can tell they run you about $1,000 (American), with a couple hundred to spend each year on new filters. If there are cheaper models out there that work just as well, PLEASE, let me know!!

Now, it’s true, this is less than the price of a good computer. But still: $1,000+? For WATER? My fiancée, for one (I’m sure), would not approve!

So, I’m left with the question: Is alkaline water really worth it?... Well, these machines DO come with a 30-day trial, or your money back. So I suppose the logical thing to do would be to dish out the money, try it, and send it back if I don’t like it… Sigh… Perhaps I’m not a logical person, because even THAT does not sound ideal to me.

Any suggestions from my faithful reader(s)?

3 Comments:

At October 30, 2005 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah, tried to post this yesterday as my computer crashed. Stupid azureus!
There was a fad diet in British magazines this winter by some Eastern
guru guy that involved making your general food intake alkaline. Not
sure why the change in ph would cause you to lose weight -- perhaps
its success would be in it taking ages for people to figure out what
they could put in their mouths...
I don't see why your water would need to be base with this, it isn't
like you'd be hydrated by something alkaline since it's going through
your stomach. Wouldn't just drinking more milk, or consuming other
alkaline foods have the same effect?

 
At October 30, 2005 9:34 PM, Blogger Cosd said...

Supposedly alkaline water is suppose to be more easily absorbed and therefore also helps with your absorption of vitamins and minerals (since water is the medium for these things). Thus it supposedly allows you to get more nutritional value from the food you are consuming, and it suppose to also have some cleansing properties. Water is a unique liquid with unique properties very important to how we function, so I wouldn't be surprised if alkalinity from other sources would not be the same.

But there is info about this stuff online, if you info from a more informed source.

 
At October 30, 2005 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home